Tuesday 11 June 2013

Day 15 Bridnorth to Newent

Apologies to all the people following this blog, time and plans have changed, and I needed the AWOL.

Day 15 started well, a good mood was had as we packed camp and made tea, followed by the campsite manager deferring the fee to our charities. Today was going to a comparatively easy day, extra miles had been made up the day before, and the first part was a lovely downhill. less than 60 miles to the comfort of a family home, a rest day and a well needed visit from my wife and children.

We headed out, enthusiasm at a high, with a determined goal in front of us. After a quick route foparr (didnt notice the road I sent us down to rejoin the route was 50 foot up a bridge!) and double back we were on route - 58 miles to go. We snaked through the minor roads and onto the NCN, as we followed the GPS things were gong O.K. another foparr saw us double back 200 yards, then back on track we come against a gate. Somebody's gone and built a house on my route!! A quick altercation with an angry looking man and a shotgun (ok it might have been a strimmer) saw us double backing and with no other option than to climb a rather large hill to highley. once finally up, feeling a little less than stellar we decide to rejoin the NCN, which unknown to us at this point is of the "f*#king hell are they serious!?" variety. A treacherous steep, hardcore surfaced descent later and we are back down several hundred feet still on a nightmare track. a similarly bad ascent (walked), a few irritating gates and very narrow tracks later, and we finally found tarmac. Travelling the first 5 miles of the day took hours, like literally, 3 of them. The enthusiasm felt at the start quickly diminished into one of the longest and most soul destroying days yet. The tarmac we found although wonderful in comparison wound its way along, up and down the Severn valley several times with excruciating climbs for our tired legs and loaded bikes. Our minds wandered to the family home we should have been enjoying by 5pm, 6 at the latest, wondering why we were even out here. Once the offroad tracks were completed, the roads gave no solace. After 15 miles the occasional calf cramp I had suffered with became a permanent feature, never relieving and only worsening as the day wore on. Pedaling became painful, and the hills shorter, steeper and never ending. by around the halfway mark it was already pushing onto evening, what should have been done by lunchtime was knocking on dinner times.

I broke.

I had absolutely had enough, my body worn, my legs refusing to work as I know they can, and my soul missing my home life, wife and children. The journey had ceased being the fun adventure I had wanted in the first week, and from then on I/we had looked at it as the challenge of a life time, a way to discover our limits and desires. Today, it became the challenge that was not worth it. We have learnt so much, I have learnt so much.

We pushed on (ok I wanted to go to worchester for the train, but chris forced us on!), and hill after hill pulled every last ounce of stregth and energy from us, but after what I believe was 3 days (13 hours probably more like it, but it felt longer!) we rolled into his parents, ate the best BBQ ever, had the best bath ever, and discussed the best ever plans to abandon the journey, rename it to a JOGN (john o groats to Newent), and call for a lift home the next day.

So that's what we did, and I tell you what, driving home - there aint half a lot of big hills in this country!

Anybody thinking of doing this journey, seriously consider if it's for you, if it is - great I have nothing but respect for you. Take as small a load as possible, take as many days as possible, and for the love of god don't be too afraid of smaller A roads - some of the lanes are so hilly it's nuts!

Things I have learnt:

I like cycling.
I like being fit.
I DO NOT like cycle touring (you pedal for hours and hours, and don't see F all worth seeing - nice hedges though)
The highlands are mountainous mostly boring places to be with the exception of any settlements!
Seen two Lochs seen them all (one large, one small)
All mountains look alike.
The lowlands ayrshire etc, are almost like England and quite pleasant
Lake district is GORGEOUS! and brilliant when propelled by an engine
Lancaster is a bit of a dump, and everyone looks pissed off about it
Gloucester area is hilly as F#ck
All hills look the same,
All hedges look the same
Scotland is mostly inhabited by sheep and cattle.
I am completely OK with john o groats to Newent.
I love my family, and cannot function without them for long.
I like Engines for long distance travelling - marvelous things!
Caps with a good peak obscure hidden pipes - and hidden pipes hurt!! A lot!
Motorcyclists get more elitist the further south you get.
Scottish motorists are on the whole kind and considerate.
English motorists would rather you die than them be 20 seconds later to the next queue.
Baths are amazing.
Beds are amazing.
Houses are our castles!






3 comments:

  1. You did brilliantly. Its a bloody long way from O'Groats to Newent. Most people would have died by Inverness.

    Be proud. Do you want your tent?

    The axolotl armchair thinking team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok well done thats an achievement in It's self ,you have now convinced me to stick to the Gosport/fareham new bus route, those hills are bad enough for me lol .keep pedaling

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't beat yourselves up - you did very, very well and your honesty makes for good reading. I hope you still love cycling, if you do decide to tour again, just allow yourselves longer - 30 miles a day is plenty, pootle it leisurely!

    Thanks for sharing your trip with us, I think you deserve a big pat on the back for keeping going as long as you did.

    ReplyDelete